Sunday, October 14, 2012

Letters from Afghanistan:

Salaam Alaykom!! Holy crap it sure has been a minute or two! My dearest wife asked me to write a bit for our blog and it’s about time I sit down and get to it. There is so much to tell, I can’t do it all in one sitting but I’ll get started.  First, I’ll say that I am so grateful to have such a strong, amazing wife. There is no way I could make it this far, as well as I have, without her unconditional love and support. We sure have been through the ringer so far and it has done nothing but strengthen our relationship and bring us closer together, despite the fact that we are on opposite sides of the world.
It’s been pretty crazy, not so much being here, but not being home. One of the hardest things that I had to overcome was the fact that there are things happening at home that I can do nothing about. That is all part of the sacrifice my family and I are making and I know that this is where I need to be. The feelings are indescribable and I am happy say that we have done our part in defending freedom.
I guess you would like to hear a little about a day in the life… over all, it aint too exciting. I work 0600 to 1800 each day and usually get a day off every 7-10 days.  We stay pretty busy in the office so the days are going by quickly. I get a change of scenery every few weeks due to the rotations on guard duties and the occasional tag-a-long flight, if there is an extra seat. I have been able to get off the base a number of times for various missions and have been able to see part of the country. Afghanistan is definitely a place unto its own. It has a great deal of desolate and unforgiving terrain but there are places where it is green and full of life. The interaction I have had with the people has been great. They are very friendly, generous, and humble individuals who welcome a smile and a hand shake; I wish I could say the same for some of the American’s.  I have had some good experiences working with the locals at the Entry Control Point (ECP) and made some interesting friends. The locals love to hear about America, our culture, traditions, and families. They get a huge kick out of seeing pictures and learning about our lives. 
Adjusting to life here was not too bad. I have eight dudes in my tent and we each get a top and bottom bunk. My living space is about 6’x10’… ironically similar to a prison cell, imagine that, ha ha! We have blankets hung up around each of our spaces so there is a little privacy, not that it helps. On more than one occasion I have had the pleasure of having my curtain flung open by a fellow comrade stopping to say hello. And more than once has more than one individual got more than he bargained for and caught me fresh out of the shower and naked as the day I was born. It’s pretty funny sometimes, especially when that person takes no regard to my current state of nudity and carries on with whatever he would like to say as I stand ever so proud in all my glory. Anyways. I look forward to talking to my wife every single day. She is the highlight of my life and helps me stay as sane as possible. Luckily, we have a few phones and computers accessible in the MWR tent so getting a hold of friends and family is not hard. Thank heaven for Skype! Chow is not all it could be, I only eat at the chow hall twice a day. Three times is just too much. Although, the chow isn’t great, it is far better than Ft Hood. You would think it would be the other way around but, nope.
Well, it’s time for bed; I have an early morning at the ECP. I will do my best to write some more here and there. I love and miss you all and thank you for your love and support for me and my family. Talk to you laters! Baamaane Khudaa!


Sgt Leavitt and Sgt Blunt


One of the locals

No comments:

Post a Comment