Sunday, December 30, 2012

Breast Feeding/Migraine from HELL!!!

When I had Max my milk never came in and I was heartbroken that I wasn't able to breastfeed.  I thought with this baby, I'd give it a try, but if it didn't work out I would be okay with that.  After delivery I started pumping, and to my surprise my milk supply came in great! I was so happy that I was able to perform that motherly duty for my child. Since he was in the NICU, it was one thing that only I could do for him, no nurse would suffice. 
After I was discharged from the hospital I was pumping every three hours, whether it be at the hospital or at home.  It was such a horrid task.  It was difficult to wake up to hook myself up to a machine, one that was incredibly uncomfortable at that.  I was soon to discover just how much work breastfeeding was, and I applaud any mom for any amount of time that they devote to this task. 

Since he was a premie I was having to wake him every 3 hours for feedings, but since he ate so little, I was also having to pump off the excess milk.  Needless to say, by the time I took care of the baby and pumping, I was getting 1 to 1.5 hours of sleep at a time. 
Max was home from his dad's house and while I was running on about 3 hours of sleep each night with no naps, I was feeling quite well.  
The house was being taken care of, dinner was on the table when the hubby got home, I took showers daily...I was thinking "why do people say this is so hard?"
AND THEN, I ate all of those words and I crashed and burned.  

I can't tell you much about my crashing and burning, other than the fact that it lasted for about a week and a half.  After 1 trip to the ER, four doctor's appointments, and several different medications, I am happy to say that I am back up and running.  Those 10 days are seriously a blur, I slept through Christmas, I couldn't care for my children or husband, I was worthless.  All I can say is thank heaven for my husband.  This man took care of a lethargic miserable woman, a newborn baby, a four year old, and he kept it all together.  He is so patient and selfless and didn't complain once.  Thank you baby for all that you do for our sweet family.  

Since I was taking medications that weren't safe during pregnancy, I was having to "pump and dump". As if I didn't hate pumping bad enough, try doing it while you are sick as a dog only to dump it down the drain.  Ew, the thought of that still disgusts me.  And so the saga goes, I ended up having to give up breast feeding, and my poor husband had to add emotional wife/mother to the list of things he had to deal with.  Poor fella!

Here's to a Happy and healthy new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment